Frimley Lodge Park

In 1972 the owner of 59 acres of farm and grazing land between the villages of Frimley Green and Mytchett passed away leaving no heirs. The land lay neglected while the Surrey Heath Borough Council fought to preserve a green belt and to save the land from development for housing.

Due to the long term vision and determination of the Surrey Heath Borough Council to provide the community with an amenity that would provide recreational needs but at the same time preserve the natural environment and essential nature of the farmland the concept of Frimley Lodge Park was born.

IIn May of 1981 the Council became the proud owners of the site by compulsory purchase at a cost of £155,000 and spent an additional £25,000 to construct access to the park off Sturt Road.

Although a substantial part of the site is for formal sports, it is due to the clever use of hedgerows and natural boundaries of the sports fields that they retain a countryside atmosphere. The building of the playing fields was the first phase of construction that began in late 1985. The second phase was the construction of the car parks and Trim Trail and the third phase was for additional car parking, lighting and the picnic and play area. In June of 1988 the final phase, the construction of the pavilion was completed. The total investment to date for the construction of the park is £1.5 million.

In 1989 the Frimley & Ascot Locomotive Club, a non profit organization, gained permission from the Council to construct a miniature railway which is still a very popular attraction in the park. More information can be found at Frimley Lodge Miniature Railway.

At the south end of the park there is a large triangular meadow area which is only lightly maintained so that naturally occurring vegetation may flourish and the Basingstoke Canal runs alongside much of the site and is owned by the Surrey & Hampshire County Councils and controlled by the Basingstoke Canal Authority.

There is something for everyone at Frimley Lodge Park which is truly a park for all seasons. The Park is open all year round and is managed by the Leisure Services Division of Surrey Heath. To book pitches - 01276 707338 or for information on the Pitch & Putt Course - 01252 838998 or If you would like to hold an event in the Park or organise a party visit, please contact the Parks and Countryside Manager, Leigh Thornton on 01276 707 374. Alternatively visit Frimley Lodge Park on the SHBC Website.

Mytchett Recreation Ground Mytchett Recreation Ground

140 Hamesmoor Road, Mytchett
Telephone: 01276 707100

This treasure contains a full size bowling green, two tennis courts, childrenís playground, a skate park with half pipes, quarter pipes, jump boxes and grind rails and opportunities for inline skating, boarding and bikes. There is also a grass kickabout area and a rose garden.

Mytchett  Bowling Green Mytchett Bowling Club

The Club was formed at the Mytchett Recreation Ground in1931 as the Coleford Bowling Club, later changing its name to Mytchett in 1965. Today, the Club has a thriving membership comprising good men and ladies sections and prides itself on being extremely friendly and welcoming to all visitors and new members from experienced bowlers to complete beginners.
For more information contact the club secretary.


Frimley Green Recreation Ground Frimley Green Recreation Ground

Frimley Green Road, Frimley Green
Telephone: 01276 707100

A large park, with a lovely grassy hill, offering extensive views over Surrey and Hampshire and is great for sledding when it snows. There is also a children's play area, five football pitches, a cricket pitch and two tennis courts. A natural wooded area has been preserved, where foxes, badgers and other wildlife can be seen.


Woodend Road ParkWoodend Road Park

Woodend Road, Deepcut

A hidden jewel with a children's playground and football pitch.

Back to Top


Basingstoke Canal


The Basingstoke Canal, was authorised by an Act parliament in 1778 but construction was delayed due to the war of American Independence and didnít begin until 10 years later and was finally completed in 1796. It originally ran from the Hampshire town of Basingstoke to its junction with the River Wey Navigation in Surrey, 37 miles away. It was bought and used by a haulage company from 1923 to 1949 and at the turn of the century it was very popular f or swimming, picnicking, boating and regattas. Later, it belonged to the New Basingstoke Canal Company, but then the canal slowly deteriorated and fell into disrepair and was used as a rubbish tip by many people. The Surrey & Hampshire Canal Society fought for it to be taken into public ownership and finally, in the 1970ís the canal, along with its towpaths, was jointly acquired by the two Councils and with a great amount help from volunteers of the Surrey & Hampshire Canal Society. Today, after many years of restoration, 32 miles of the original navigation have been restored, and it is fully navigable from North Warnborough in Hampshire to the Wey Navigation in Surrey, which joins the River Thames.


It has 29 locks, all but one in Surrey, which together raise the canal 204ft. The locks are grouped into five flights -
Woodham (3 locks) with a total rise of 19ft
Sheerwater (3 locks) a total rise of 32 1/2ft
St Johns (5 locks) a total rise of 35ft
Brookwood (3 locks) a total rise of 18 1/2ft
Deepcut (14 locks) a total rise of 90 1/2ft
Ash Lock (Lock 29) is the only one in Hampshire, and provides a rise of 8ft.

Surrey & Hampshire Canal Society - Guardians of the Basingstoke Canal

The Surrey and Hampshire Canal Society campaigned for public ownership and restoration of the Basingstoke Canal, and today organises working parties, talks and the Woking Canal Festival. They also represent the voluntary work thatís carried out on the canal. For more information see -

Basingstoke Canal Authority

The "Authority" undertake the management of the whole canal. Their offices and visitor centre are located at the Canal Centre, Mytchett Place Road, Mytchett, Surrey. GU16 6DD. The canal provides many leisure pursuits, walking, cycling, birding, fishing, canoeing, boat hire and rides, photography and many other opportunities. For more information Telephone - 01252 370073 or visit the Website -

Basingstoke Canal Boating Club

Supporting all aspects of boating on the Canal with membership open to all. We organise the annual Fox and Hounds rally, take part in the Bridge Barn and Colt Hill events, and enjoy an active social calendar. For more information Telephone - 01252 703768 or visit the Website -

Basingstoke Canal Canoe Club

A large family-orientated club based at the Canal Centre Mytchett with a wide range of recreational and competitive canoeing taking place on the Canal, rivers, sea and overseas. We offer BCU training courses and social events. For more information Telephone - 01276 514766 or visit the Website -

Basingstoke Canal Angling Association

A large association made up from angling clubs in Hampshire and Surrey with a common interest in fishing from the towpath of the Basingstoke Canal. For more information Telephone - 01256 780666 or visit the Website -

Back to Top



The Camberley and District Horticultural society provide allotments and there are only two allotment sites in the three villages,
both with very long waiting lists.

WHarf Road AllotmentsThe larger one is in Wharf Road - next to the Frimley Green Library.
The Site Rep is David Natolie, 35 Buckhurst Road, Frimley Green, GU16 6LJ
Telephone: 01252 658386

The second, smaller site is in Cross Lane
The Site Rep is: Graham Ingall, 8 Bedford Avenue, Frimley Green
Telephone: 01252 686022

Back to Top